Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday, Nov. 12, 2009

I am feeling kind of tired today. I think we are both ready for the weekend to be here. We have just about completed Week 7 of our therapy.

Pausing for a moment to look backward to where we are now, I would definitely say we have made the progress that was desired. Brennen is now consistently eating a complete pureed meal consisting of meat, vegetable and fruit. He is eating a balanced diet!!

I was telling Dr. Bauer about Brennen's continual bowel troubles and she is recommending putting him back on Miralax for a few days to completely empty his bowels so I am not constantly changing his pull-up every half hour to forty five minutes. Sounds like a good weekend project...

Being in therapy, life is very simple..we get up..we drive to the hospital..we drive back to the RM House and then go to sleep.

Returning back home is going to be wonderful, but I also worry about how we are going to be able to keep up Brennen's progress. Therapy works wonderful when you have nurses, a staffed kitchen that prepares food for you, and a strict schedule that doesn't get interrupted by life's happenings.

Dr. Cuddy mentioned that prior to us being discharged they will give us a "real-life" eating schedule. They don't expect me to feed Brennen 5 times a day, like we do here.

I am relieved that we continue the outpatient therapy until Brennen is eating solid foods. We will have our support system for a long time; which I am very glad about.

I am so ready to go home..but the realization of no nurses giving me breaks and no pureed food already prepared has me a little weary.

Kind of feels like when we were bringing Brennen home from the hospital for the very first time..the realization of no nurses at home..no little nursery that I could bring him to at night while I got my full night's sleep! It was sink or swim time...and we swam.

We will swim again I'm sure, but I could use a boat if anyone has one?!

1 comment:

  1. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.....Dory knew what she was talking about in finding Nemo!!

    ReplyDelete