Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Today has gone much better than yesterday. Brennen has filled a Pull-Up! Yay for Poop!! He is feeling much better today, for obvious reasons...

He has eaten 3 good meals so far today and even ate his new food of turkey with no problems what so ever.

Yesterday, we took Brennen to go see Dr. Steffen and she did an x-ray and took some blood work to make sure that there is nothing else going on that we are missing. From the appointment, we discovered that Brennen is not constipated, he is withholding his stool because he doesn't want to go to the bathroom. The past two nights Brennen has woken up more times than I care to count to try and go to the bathroom....or try to not go to the bathroom..not sure which is which anymore...

Anyway, today I got to meet with Dr. Cuddy and Dr. Bauer about what to do with our little Brennen, who is so very complex with all of his needs: anxiety over food, anxiety over bowel troubles, Celiac Disease that causes his little GI tract to flare up, and an over-all hypersensitive guy all the way around.

We are going to try and put Brennen on a very mild dosage of some medication to help try and lessen some of these stressors for him. Our plan is to keep him on the dosage for 6 months to help Brennen "get over the hump" of eating and beginning toilet training (in January). Medication is not always an answer, but in Brennen's case I really think it is going to help him settle down a little bit; at least to help him relax enough to master these milestones.

The therapists in Recreational Therapy and Occupational Therapy are going to begin doing some role-play with dolls of how do we keep ourselves clean in the diaper area and talk about going to the bathroom. Brennen is very anxious about me cleaning him..it takes two people to change him..he is kicking and crying because he doesn't want his bottom to be touched. How do I change him by myself at the RM House, you ask? I'm Super Woman..didn't you know? :) Well, not really...I just have to be really quick!

I am so pleased with the Doctors in this program. They have really listened to me and my concerns and have been really sensitive with Brennen and have a true understanding of what he is going through.

I feel good..I can breathe again..

Thank you Lord for giving us the answers we needed...Amen

3 comments:

  1. Chrissy
    I am so glad to hear Brennen had a good day. You are in my thoughts daily. I haven't read one blog yet where I didn't cry! Owen picked out a gift for Brennen (of course I still have it!) and ever since he throws something in the cart where ever we are for his "best friend from "Kisten's" - no "r's"! I think that not only has your faith sustained you - your faith has strenghtened. Here's to one good day after another!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peg,
    Thanks so much! Owen is too cute..that is so sweet how he thinks of Brennen. I know Brennen misses him and all of his friends at "Kisten's"!
    I miss seeing ya..4 more weeks to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Chrissy! You are doing great things!!!!! I am thinking of you often.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete