Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday, Oct. 16, 2009

Well, we made it to yet another Friday. It is the end of Week 3 of Brennen's therapy. We have about 7 more weeks to go.

Today was a really hard day for Brennen. As Ms. Cheryl was feeding him he just did everything he could think of to not eat. Dr. Cuddy came in and told him that he needed to start eating or she would have to hold his hands. He didn't start eating so that's what they had to do. Brennen broke into a full-tantrum with screaming, crying and kicking his feet. About 30 minutes later...he finished his 5 oz of food.

Then came the next feeding which entailed more of the same behaviors....Luckily, after this one he was able to go to Ms. Betsy and relax and paint a brown paper lunch bag which is stuffed with tissue paper to resemble a pumpkin shape. He was able to paint his "pumpkin" and add facial features to it. That really helped calm him down to be ready for this third feeding.

His third feeding went much better and Brennen ate his 5 oz of food with no hand holding. He is napping right now. I know he wore himself out. I am not looking forward to his 4:30 feed because I just know we are going to have to start all over again with him not wanting to eat. Ms. Darcia will be feeding him at his last feed and she is the nurse that is only in the Day Hospital once a week. She is really nice, but Brennen doesn't get to see her as often as the other nurses. So that just tends to make things a little more difficult for him.

It is difficult to watch when these behaviors arise; but it was much more difficult for Tim and I to be the only ones dealing with these behaviors at every meal time, every day before we started this program. I had felt very alone and frustrated... I would always think what am I not doing? What is wrong with me that I can't get my own child to eat a meal? I am a Special Education teacher for Pete's Sake!

It is so comforting for me to be up here which sounds really bizarre since I am away from home, and away from my husband and daughter. But I just can't emphasize enough how thankful I am to be up here, receiving the help and support we so desperately need. I don't feel alone anymore... I don't have to feel defensive anymore...I feel like I can breathe because I know Brennen is finally going to get the help he needs. Being here is truly an answer to so many prayers.

I know Brennen will eat one day and I will have lots of bribery for him when he begins dating! I plan on saving these blog posts and compiling them into a book to show his future wife. I am sure she will thank me for not having to have pureed sweet potatoes and chicken on their wedding reception menu.

Have a good weekend everybody and I know we will do the same!

2 comments:

  1. Brennen is on his way! (all of you are!) I am praying for him, and for the upcoming day of celebration with no "hand holding"! It will come!!
    Miss your sweet spirit! But so thankful for this program for Brennen, and that you know you are not alone.
    Thank you for the updates!
    :)
    Cathleen (aka: Nurse Rem)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy,

    Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. What you are doing is wonderful. It is hard for all of you now, but in the long run, you will always be thankful that you took the time to do this. Keep your chin up and the blogs too!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete