Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday, Oct. 8, 2009

I have been reading the book "The Little Engine That Could" to Brennen. He picked that book out of the children's library in his preschool room. As I was reading it, I couldn't help but make the comparisons of Brennen to the Little Engine. Brennen is so small, like the engine in the book, and he has to climb this steep track of new environments, new textures, new tastes, and new faces.

As I'm sure you remember, at the end of the book, the Little Engine makes it up the steep track. I know Brennen will too. It will just take a lot of patience and time.

We had a rough start to the day today. There was a new chair in the feeding room and Brennen didn't like it (Strike 1). Then Miss Darcia, who is only in the Day Hospital once a week, was feeding Brennen (Strike 2). He couldn't get the chair and the new face out of his head and move past it to begin eating (Strike 3).

So after 25 minutes of not getting anywhere, we called that feeding session a wash and Brennen went back to the Day Hospital room to play until his next feeding time.

He did much better at the next feed. The new chair had disappeared from the room and he was able to sit in the chair that he was familiar with. Miss Darcia fed him at this feed too, so he can get used to her as well. Brennen ate all of his food, including 10 bites of chicken!

This week seems very long to me. I think it's because it is our first full week. Last week, we started on Wednesday. But, like the Little Engine, we will press onward.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

1 comment:

  1. Aww Chrissy, we all miss you, but on this end after catching up on reading all of these posts, I think things are going great! And he's a smart little boy in my eyes if he likes a train book.; )
    Brennan lying on the floor is nowhere near the excitement we've had at school where various rooms have found poop lying on the floor! Yes, including mine, but I was at the DLT meeting that day. lol Poor Cyndi and the sub. Perhaps we should incorporate a Code Brown. he he Keep your chin up, girl! And call me anytime you need to get rid of the boredom. We will be up to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete