Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009

Today is Wednesday...although I keep having to remind myself that it is not Thursday.
Tim and Sophia came up last night. They usually come to visit on Wednesday evenings. We ordered chinese take-out and just ate it up in our room. I gave both kids a bath and then Tim and Sophia left for home. It felt like a normal night except for the fact that Tim and Sophie had to leave. It was nice to have some "normal" family time during the week. But now today, I keep thinking it is Thursday so this week seems a little bit longer to me!

Brennen ate mashed potatoes today! He had 10 small bites of mashed potatoes after much convincing and threats of hand-holding, but he did eat it! Brennen gets himself so worked up and anxious over eating that he will sometimes make himself sick. He did a good job of calming himself down and he was able to relax enough to eat his mashed potatoes and the rest of his meal relatively calmly.

Today as I was watching him through the two-way mirror, I just started crying. It is so heart-braking to watch him day after day struggle with anxiety over food and then on top of that deal with intestinal troubles too. I got to talk with the pediatrician on staff here at the hospital. She is fantastic and Brennen likes her too. She thought Brennen's GI tract troubles stem from his new diet and his body is adjusting to the new foods he is eating. She is recommending the feeding team add some yogurt to Brennen's diet in addition to some pureed bananas to help sort of calm-down his system. Brennen's system is so sensitive, partly because of the Celiac Disease. Prior to beginning the feeding therapy, Brennen's little system would go back and forth from constipation to diarrhea. We could never get to a normal routine.

We will get there..I know we will...It is just exhausting..I am looking forward to going back to the Ronald Mcdonald House and just resting tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment